(352) 392-0719 (phone)
Dr. Amrisha Verma received her PhD from Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, India. After finishing her post-doctoral research work at International medical center of Japan she joined as a Fogarty international research fellow at National Institutes of health. Later she joined as an Assistant research scientist in the department of Ophthalmology, University of Florida.
Our research focus is on Diabetic retinopathy. Diabetic retinopathy is an ocular manifestation of diabetes, a systemic disease, which affects up to 80 percent of all patients who have had diabetes for 10 years or more. We want to understand the pathogenesis of diabetic retinopathy with the main focus on the role and mechanisms of ocular renin angiotensin system in development and progression of diabetic retinopathy. In order to Investigate and develop novel therapeutic targets for diabetic retinopathy we need to find strategies to enhance the protective ACE2/Ang-(1-7) axis of Renin angiotensin system.
- Qi Y, Li Q, Shenoy V, Zingler M, Jun J, Verma A, Katovich MJ, Raizada MK. Comparison of Transduction Efficiency of Tyrosine-Mutant AAV Serotype Vectors in Kidney. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2012 Dec 6. doi: 10.1111/1440-1681.12037. [Epub ahead of print]PMID: 23216315
- Hazra S, Rasheed A, Bhatwadekar A, Wang X, Shaw LC, Patel M, Caballero S, Magomedova L, Solis N, Yan Y, Wang W, Thin Schmidt JS, Verma A, Li Q, Levi M, Cummins CL, Grant MB. Liver x receptor modulates diabetic retinopathy outcome in a mouse model of streptozotocin-induced diabetes. Diabetes. 2012, 61(12): 3270-3279. PMID :22891211
- Qiuhong Li, Amrisha Verma, Astra Dinculescu, Alfred S. Lewin and William W. Hauswirth. NADPH Oxidase in Choroidal Neovascularization. Studies on Retinal and Choroidal Disorders. (Oxidative stress in applied basic research and clinical practice).Book Chapter. 2012, 307-320
- Verma A, Shan Z, Lei B, Yuan L, Liu X, Nakagawa T, Grant MB, Lewin Al, Hauswirth WW, Raizada MK, Li Q. ACE2 and Ang-(1-7) Confer Protection Against Development of Diabetic Retinopathy. Mol Ther. 2011; 20(1): 28-36. PMID:21792177
- Jarajapu YP, Caballero S, Verma A, Nakagawa T, Lo MC, Li Q, Grant MB. Blockade of NADPH oxidase restores vasoreparative function in diabetic CD34+ cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011 Jul 7; 52(8):5093-104. PMID:21676908
- Li Q, Verma A, Han PY, Nakagawa T, Johnson RJ, Grant MB, Campbell-Thompson M, Jarajapu YP, Lei B, Hauswirth WW. Diabetic eNOS-knockout mice develop accelerated retinopathy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010 Oct; 51(10):5240-6. PMID: 20435587