Jijing Pang, MD, Ph.D.
(352) 273-9341 (phone)
(352) 392-0573 (fax)
Dental Building, Rm D4-35
Academic Research Building, Rm R1-245
Dr. Pang received his MD in 1988 from China Medical University. He became an attending doctor in Ophthalmology, 2nd Affiliated Hospital of CMU in 1993 before he was sent to Japan for further training in research. Dr. Pang got his PhD in 1999 from Tokyo Medical and Dental University because of his finding on blue light damage to RPE cells. During his PhD course, Dr. Pang found a new type of Retinitis Pigmentosa due to vitamin E deficiency caused by an alpha-tocopherol transferase mutation. Oral administration of vitamin E stopped the progression of visual deterioration for the next 10 years. This experience prompted him to a postdoctoral position in Dr. Blanks’ lab at Oakland University in 1999. He tested adenoviral and lentiviral vectors via subretinal injections to rescue the photoreceptor degeneration seen in rd1 mice. Although the technical difficulties make the subretinal injection-related damage obvious in the mouse, especially in young pups, it is this gene replacement technique that captured his interest and remains the focus of his research program until he becomes a mouse expert.
Dr. Pang moved to University of Florida in 2002 and since then he has been continuously involved in treatment of rodent models of inherited retinal disease by delivery of different selected AAV vectors containing therapeutic cDNAs. He has documented experience in all aspects of analysis of rodent retinal structure and function, including ERG, OCT, and vision elicited behavior in-life and retinal structure post-mortem. He was instrumental in the work that first demonstrated that AAV-mediated RPE65 expression could rescue RPE65 mutations in rodents. Recently, Dr. Pang provides the proof that delayed treatment at P90 can rescue the function and morphology of the remaining M-cones, which has important implications for the current ongoing LCA2 clinical trials. Dr. Pang has expanded his retinal rescue program to many other mouse models of human retinal disease, for example, 1) the Cpfl5 and Cnga3/Nrl DKO mice, models of human achromatopsia with cnga3 mutations, 2) the Cngb3 knockout mouse, a model of human achromatopsia 1 with cngb3 mutations,3) the rd10 mouse, a model of human retinitis pigmentosa with PDE6b mutations. 4) rd11 mice, model of retinal degeneration. 5)TRb2 KO mice, which can lead to cure of human blue cone monochomatism/red-green color blindness in the future. Dr. Pang also collaborated with other researchers to rescue many other mouse models of human retinal degenerations, such as rd6, rd17, GC-1-/-, LART-/- mice, and the RCS & BCM rats. Dr. Pang received the H. Talmage Dobbs Ophthalmic Research Award from Emory Eye Center in 2003. He was awarded a Burns Visiting Professorship at University of Missouri-Columbia from 2005 – 2006. Dr. Pang received the Overseas Chinese Award for Outstanding Achievement in Ophthalmology and Vision Science from the Chinese Ophthalmological Society in 2011. In 2015, he received the Outstanding Achievement Award in Vision and Eye research from the Overseas Chinese Association for Vision and Eye Research. He currently is a visiting professor in multiple universities and is also the Secretary in General and Board member of the Overseas Chinese Association for Vision and Eye Research.
- rAAV-CNGB3 Gene Therapy for Achromatopisia:Transiational Research Studies; NIH/NEI R24EY022023; Period: 06/01/2015 – 05/31/2018. Role: Co-PI.
- University of Florida and Jiangsu province Hospital agreement to design, produce and deliver the AAV vectors to WMC; 01/01/2015 – 12/31/2018. Role: PI.
- Gene Therapy for Blue Cone Monochromacy.BCM Family Foundation (Hauswirth and Pang); Period: 01/01/14 – 12/31/16; Role: Co-PI.
- 2014 UF Faculty Enhancement Opportunity Award
- Macula Vision Research Foundation (Hauswirth and Pang) “Vitreal delivery of novel AAV vectors for blue cone monochomacy (BCM)” 01/01/14 – 12/31/16
- R21EY023543 (Pang) “Vitreal delivery of novel AAV vectors for CNGA3 achromatopsia cone gene therapy” 08/01/2013 – 07/31/2016
- UF and WMU agreement (Pang) to design, produce and deliver the AAV vectors to WMC; 07/01/2013 – 12/31/2017
- International collaboration project by The Ministry of Science and Technology of China 2010DFB33430 (China PI: Fangtian Dong, US PI: Jijing Pang) “Genetic diagnosis and gene therapy of inherited retinal degeneration in China” 01-01-2011 to 12-31-15.
(last 10 years)
- Wei Du, Ye Tao, Wen-Tao Deng, Ping Zhu, Jie Li, Xufeng Dai, Yuxin Zhang, Wei Shi, Xuan Liu, Vince A. Chiodo, Xi-Qin Ding, Stylianos Michalakis, Martin Biel, Chen Zhao, Zuoming Zhang, Jia Qu, William W. Hauswirth, Ji-jing Pang. Vitreal Delivery of AAV Vectored Cnga3 Restores Cone Function in CNGA3-/-/Nrl-/- Mice, an All-Cone Model of CNGA3 Achromatopsia. Hum. Mol. Genet. 2015, Vol. 24, No. 13 3699–3707; doi: 10.1093/hmg/ddv114.
- Dai X, Zhang H, He Y, Qi Y, Chang B, Pang JJ. The frequency-response electroretinogram distinguishes cone and abnormal rod function in rd12 mice. See comment in PubMed Commons belowPLoS One. 2015 Feb 23;10(2):e0117570. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0117570. eCollection 2015.
- Xufeng Dai, Juanjuan Han, Yan Qi, Hua Zhang, Lue Xiang, Jineng Lv, Jie Li, Wen-Tao Deng, Bo Chang, William W. Hauswirth and Ji-jing Pang. AAV-Mediated Lysophosphatidylcholine Acyltransferase 1 (Lpcat1) Gene Replacement Therapy Rescues Retinal Degeneration in rd11 Mice. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014; 55(3):1724-34. doi: 10.1167/iovs.13-13654.
- Han J, Dinculescu A, Dai X, Du W, Smith WC, Pang J. Review: the history and role of naturally occurring mouse models with Pde6b mutations. Mol Vis. 2013 Dec 20;19: 2579-89.
- Deng WT, Sakurai K, Kolandaivelu S, Kolesnikov AV, Dinculescu A, Li J, Zhu P, Liu X, Pang J, Chiodo VA, Boye SL, Chang B, Ramamurthy V, Kefalov VJ, Hauswirth WW. Cone phosphodiesterase-6α’ restores rod function and confers distinct physiological properties in the rod phosphodiesterase-6β-deficient rd10 mouse. J Neurosci. 2013 Jul 17; 33(29):11745-53. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.1536-13.2013.
- Thomas J. Conlon, Wen-Tao Deng, Kirsten Erger, Travis Cossette, Ji-jing Pang, Renee Ryals, Nathalie Clement, Brian Cleaver, Issam McDoom, Shannon E. Boye, Marc C. Peden, Mark B. Sherwood, Corinne R. Abernathy, Fowzan S. Alkuraya, Sanford L. Boye, William W. Hauswirth. Preclinical Potency and Safety Studies of an AAV2-mediated Gene Therapy Vector for the Treatment of MERTK Associated Retinitis Pigmentosa. Human Gene Therapy. 2013; 24(1): 23-8.
- Ye Tao, Tao Chen, Bei Liu, Jun Hui Xue, Lei Zhang, Feng Xia, Ji-jing Pang and Zuo Ming Zhang. Visual signal pathway reorganization in the cacna1f mutant rat model. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013; 54(3): 1988-97. doi: 10.1167/iovs.12-10706.
- Qinxiang Zheng, Yueping Ren, Radouil Tzekov, Yuanping Zhang, Bo Chen, Jiangping Hou, Chunhui Zhao, Jiali Zhu, Ying Zhang, Xufeng Dai, Shan Ma, Jia Li, Ji-jing Pang, Jia Qu, Wensheng Li. Differential proteomics and functional research following gene therapy in a mouse model of Leber congenital amaurosis. PLoS ONE. 2012; 7(8):e44855. Epub 2012 Aug 31.
- Wen-Tao Deng, Astra Dinculescu, Qiuhong Li, Sanford L. Boye, Jie Li, Marina S. Gorbatyuk, Ji-jing Pang, Vince A. Chiodo, Michael T. Matthes, Douglas Yasumura, Li Liu, Fowzan S. Alkuraya, Kang Zhang, Douglas Vollrath, Matthew M. LaVail, William W. Hauswirth Tyrosine-mutant AAV8 delivery of human MERTK provides long-term retinal preservation in RCS Rats. IOVS. 2012; 53(4):1895-904.
- Ji-jing Pang, Wen-Tao Deng, Xufeng Dai, Bo Lei, Drew Everhart, Yumiko Umino, Jie Li, Keqing Zhang, Song Mao, Sanford L. Boye, Li Liu, Vince A Chiodo, Xuan Liu, Wei Shi, Bo Chang, William W. Hauswirth. AAV-mediated cone rescue in a naturally occurring mouse model of CNGA3-Achromatopsia. 2012; PLoS ONE 7(4): e35250. doi:10.1371/journal.pone. 0035250.
- Ji-jing Pang, Lei Lei, Xufeng Dai, Wei Shi, Xuan Liu, Astra Dinculescu, J. Hugh McDowell. AAV-mediated gene therapy in mouse models of recessive retinal degeneration. Current Molecular Medicine. 2012; 12 (3): 316-330.
- Jacobson,S.G.; Cideciyan,A.V.; Ratnakaram,R.; Heon,E.; Schwartz,S.B.; Roman,A.J.; Peden,M.C.; Aleman,T.S.; Boye,S.L.; Sumaroka,A.; Conlon,T.J.; Calcedo,R.; Pang,J.J.; Erger,K.E.; Olivares,M.B.; Mullins,C.L.; Swider,M.; Kaushal,S.; Feuer,W.J.; Iannaccone,A.; Fishman,G.A.; Stone,E.M.; Byrne,B.J.; Hauswirth,W.W. Gene Therapy for Leber Congenital Amaurosis Caused by RPE65 Mutations: Safety and Efficacy in 15 Children and Adults Followed Up to 3 Years. Arch Ophthalmol. 2012; 130: 9-24.
- Boye, Sanford; Conlon, Thomas; Erger, Kirsten; Ryals, Renee; Neeley, Andy; Cossette, Travis; Pang, Ji-jing; Dyka, Frank; Hauswirth, William; Boye, Shannon. Long term preservation of cone photoreceptors and restoration of cone function by gene therapy in the guanylate cyclase-1 knockout (GC1KO) mouse. IOVS; 2011; 52(10):7098-108.
- Ji-jing Pang, Xufeng Dai, Shannon E. Boye, Ilaria Barone, Sanford L. Boye, Song Mao, Drew Everhart, Astra Dinculescu, Li Liu, Yumiko Umino, Bo Lei, Bo Chang, Robert Barlow, Enrica Strettoi, and William W. Hauswirth. Long Term Retinal Function and Structure Rescue Using Capsid Mutant AAV8 Vector in the rd10 Mouse, a Model of Recessive Retinitis Pigmentosa. Mol Ther. 2011 Feb;19(2):234-42. (advance online publication on 7 December 2010. doi:10.1038/mt.2010.273).
- Xia Li, Wensheng Li, Xufeng Dai, Fansheng Kong, Qinxiang Zheng, Bo Chang, Barbell Rohrer, William W. Hauswirth, Jia Qu, Ji-jing Pang. AAV-mediated Cone Rescue in the Three-Month-Old rd12 Mouse: A Model for Midcourse RPE65 Leber Congenital Amaurosis. IOVS 2011; 52(1):7-15.
- Hilda Petrs-Silva, Astra Dinculescu, Qiuhong Li, Wen-Tao Deng, Ji-jing Pang, Seok-Hong Min, Vince Chiodo, Andy W. Neeley, Lakshmanan Govindasamy, Antonette Bennett, Mavis Agbandje-McKenna, Li Zhong, Baozheng Li, Giridhara R. Jayandharan, Arun Srivastava, Alfred S. Lewin and William W. Hauswirth. Novel Properties of Tyrosine-mutant AAV2 Vectors in the Mouse Retina. Mol Ther. 2011; 19:293-301.
- Shannon Boye, Sanford L Boye, Jijing Pang, Renee C Ryals, Drew Everhart, Yumiko Umino, Andy W Neeley, Joseph Besharse, Robert Barlow, William Hauswirth. Functional and Behavioral Restoration of Vision by Gene Therapy in a Mouse Model of Leber Congenital Amaurosis-1 (LCA1). 2010； PLoS ONE 5(6): e11306. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0011306.
- Ji-jing Pang, John Alexander, Bo Lei, Wentao Deng, Keqing Zhang, Qiuhong Li, Bo Chang, William W. Hauswirth. Achromatopsia as a Potential Candidate for Gene Therapy. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2010; 664: 639-46 (Springer: Indexed Book Chapter).
- Fansheng Kong, Wensheng Li, Xia Li, Qinxiang Zheng, Xufeng Dai, Xiangtian Zhou, Sanford L Boye, William W Hauswirth, Jia Qu, Ji-jing Pang. Self-complementary AAV5 Vector Facilitates Quicker Transgene Expression in Photoreceptor and Retinal Pigment Epithelial Cells of Normal Mouse. Exp Eye Res. 2010; 90 (5): 546-554.
- Jijing Pang, Shannon E. Boye, Bo Lei, Sanford L. Boye, Drew Everhart, Yumiko Umino, Bärbel Rohrer, John Alexander, Jie Li, Xufeng Dai, Qiuhong Li, Bo Chang, Robert Barlow, and William W. Hauswirth. Self-complementary AAV-mediated gene therapy restores cone function and prevents cone degeneration in two models of Rpe65 deficiency. Gene Ther. 2010; 17, 815–826.
- Wen-Tao Deng, Keisuke Sakurai, Jianwen Liu Astra Dinculescu, Jie Li, Ji-jing Pang, Seok-Hong Min, Vince Chiodo, Sanford Boye, Bo Chang, Vladimir Kefalov, William Hauswirth. Functional interchangeability of rod and cone transducin α-subunits. PNAS. 2009; 106(42):17681-6.
- Artur V Cideciyan, William Hauswirth, Tomas S Aleman, Shalesh Kaushal, Sharon B Schwartz, Sanford L Boye, Elizabeth Windsor, Thomas Conlon, Alexander Sumaroka, Ji-jing Pang, Alejandro J Roman, Barry Byrne, Samuel G Jacobson. Human RPE65 Gene Therapy for Leber Congenital Amaurosis: Persistence of Early Visual Improvements and Safety at One Year. Human Gene Therapy. 2009; 20: 1-6.
- Wensheng Li, Fansheng Kong, Xia Li, Xufeng Dai, Xiaoqiang Liu, Ronghan Wu, Xiangtian Zhou, Fan. Lü, Bo Chang, Qiuhong Li, William W. Hauswirth, Jia Qu, Ji-jing Pang. Gene therapy following subretinal AAV vector delivery is not affected by a previous intravitreal AAV vector administration in the partner eye. Mol Vis. 2009; 15:267-275<http://www.molvis.org/molvis/v15/a27>
- Hilda Petrs-Silva; Astra Dinculescu; Qiuhong Li; Seok-Hong Min; Vince Chiodo; Ji-Jing Pang; Lee Zhong; Sergei Zolotukhin; Arun Srivastava; Alfred S Lewin; William W Hauswirth. High-efficiency transduction of the mouse retina by tyrosine-mutant AAV serotype vectors. Mol Ther. 2008; 14: 316–327.
- Artur V. Cideciyan, Tomas S. Aleman, Sanford L. Boye, Sharon B. Schwartz, Shalesh Kaushal, Alejandro J. Roman, Ji-jing Pang, Alexander Sumaroka, Elizabeth A. M. Windsor, James M. Wilson, Terence R. Flotte, Gerald A. Fishman, Elise Heon, Edwin M. Stone, Barry J. Byrne, Samuel G. Jacobson, and William W. Hauswirth. Human gene therapy for RPE65 isomerase deficiency activates the retinoid cycle of vision but with slow rod kinetics PNAS (2008): 105 (39): 15112-15117.
- Qiuhong Li, Astra Dinculescu, Zhiying Shan, Rehae Miller, Ji-jing Pang, Alfred S Lewin, Mohan K Raizada, William W. Hauswirth. Downregulation of p22phox in Retinal Pigment Epithelial Cells Inhibits Choroidal Neovascularization in Mice. Mol Ther. 2008; 16(10): 1688-94.
- Ji-jing Pang, Sanford L. Boye, Ashok Kumar, Astra Dinculescu, Wentao Deng, Jie Li, Qiuhong Li, Asha Rani, Thomas C. Foster, Bo Chang, Norman L. Hawes, Jeffrey H. Boatright, and William W. Hauswirth. AAV-mediated gene therapy delays retinal degeneration in the rd10 mouse containing a recessive PDE mutation. Invest. Ophthalmol Vis. Sci. 2008; 49 (10): 4278-4283.
- Qiuhong Li, Rehae Miller, Ping-Yang Han, Jijing Pang, Astra Dinculescu, Vince Choido, and William Hauswirth. Intraocular route of AAV2 vector administration defines humoral immune response and therapeutic potential. Mol Vis. 2008 Sep 24; 14: 1760-1769.
- Ji-jing Pang, Amanda Lauramore, Wen-tao Deng, Qiuhong Li, Tom Doyle, Vince Chiodo, Jie Li, William W Hauswirth. Analysis of In Vivo and In Vitro AAV Vector Transduction in Neonatal Mouse Retina: Effects of Serotype and Site of Administration. Vision Res. (2008): 48 (3): 377-385.
- Verline Justilien , Ji-Jing Pang , Kutralanathan Renganathan , Xianquan Zhan , John W Crabb , So Ra Kim , Janet R Sparrow , William W Hauswirth , Alfred S Lewin. SOD2 Knockdown Mouse Model of Early AMD. Invest.Ophthalmol.Vis.Sci., 2007 Oct ;48 (10):4407-20 17898259 (2007).
- A.J. Roman, S.L. Boye, T.S. Aleman, J.J. Pang, J.H. McDowell, S.E. Boye, A.V. Cideciyan, S.G. Jacobson, W.W. Hauswirth. A Bioassay for Human Gene Therapy Trials of Leber Congenital Amaurosis (LCA). Mol. Vis. 2007 (September); 13:1701-1710.
- John Alexander, Yumiko Umino, Drew Everhart, Bo Chang, Seok H Min, Qiuhong Li, Adrian M Timmers, Norman L Hawes, Ji-jing Pang, Robert B Barlow & William W Hauswirth: Restoration of cone vision in a mouse model of achromatopsia. Nature Medicine 13, 685 – 687 (2007).
- Nusinowitz, S. Ridder, W. III, Pang, J, Chang, B., Noorwez, SM, Kaushal, S., Hauswirth, W., and Heckenlively, JR: Cortical visual function in the rd12 mouse model of Leber Congenital Amaurousis (LCA) after gene replacement therapy to restore retinal function. Vision Res. 2006 Oct; 46 (22): 3926-34.
- Shannon E. Haire, Jijing Pang, Sanford L. Boye, Izabel Sokal, Cheryl M. Craft, Krzysztof Palczewski, William W. Hauswirth, Susan L. Semple-Rowland: Light-driven cone arrestin translocation in cones of postnatal guanylate cyclase-1 knockout mouse retina treated with AAV-GC1. Invest. Ophthalmol Vis. Sci. 2006 Sep; 47 (9):3745-53.
- Lyudmyla G.Glushakova, Adrian M.Timmers, Jijing Pang, Jacqueline T. Teusner and William W. Hauswirth: The human blue-opsin promoter preferentially targets reporter gene expression to rat S-cone photoreceptor. Invest. Ophthalmol Vis. Sci. 47 (8): 3505-13, 2006.
- Jijing Pang, Mei Cheng, Shannon E Haire, Edward Barker, Vicente Planelles, Janet C. Blanks: Efficiency of lentiviral transduction during development in normal and rd mice. Molecular Vision 2006 (July); 12:756-767.
- Lyudmyla G. Glushakova, Adrian M. Timmers, Tawfik M. Issa1, Nenita G. Cortez1, Jijing Pang, Jacqueline T. Teusner and William W. Hauswirth: DOES rAAV-VECTORED PROXIMAL REGION OF MOUSE RHODOPSIN PROMOTER SUPPORT ONLY ROD-TYPE SPECIFIC EXPRESSION IN VIVO? Molecular Vision 2006 (April); 12:298-309.
- Ji-jing Pang, Bo Chang, Ashok Kumar, Steven Nusinowitz, Syed M. Noorwez, Jie Li, Asha Rani, Thomas C. Foster, Vince A Chiodo, Thomas Doyle, Ritu Malhotra, Hugh McDowell, Seok-Hong Min Qiuhong Li, Shalesh Kaushal, and William W. Hauswirth: Gene Therapy Restores Vision-Dependent Behavior as well as Retinal Structure and Function in a Mouse Model of RPE65 Leber Congenital Amaurosis. Molecular Therapy 2006 (March);13: 565-572.
- Matthew Batten, Yoshikazu Imanishi , Daniel Tu , Thuy Doan , Li Zhu , Jijing Pang , Lyudmyla Glushakova , Alexander Moise , Wolfgang Baehr , Russell Van Gelder , William Hauswirth , Fred Rieke, Krzysztof Palczewski: PHARMACOLOGICAL AND RAAV GENE THERAPY RESCUE OF VISUAL FUNCTIONS IN A BLIND MOUSE MODEL OF LEBER CONGENITAL AMAUROSIS. Plos Medicine 2005-12-01.
- Wen-Tao Deng, Zuan Yan, Astra Dinculescu, Jijing Pang, Jacqueline Teusner, Nenita Cortez, Kenneth Nerns, William Hauswirth: AAV-mediated Expression of VEGF Peptides Inhibits Retinal Neovascularization in a Mouse Model of Oxygen-induced Retinopathy. Human Gene Therapy 16:1-8, 2005 (November).
- M. S. Gorbatyuk, J.-J. Pang, J. Thomas Jr., William W. Hauswirth, Alfred S. Lewin: Knockdown of wild-type mouse rhodopsin using an AAV vectored ribozyme as part of an RNA replacement approach. Mol Vis 2005; 11:648-656.
- Ji-jing Pang, Bo Chang, Norman L. Hawes, Ronald E. Hurd, Muriel T. Davisson, Jie Li, Syed M. Noorwez, Ritu Malhotra, J. Hugh McDowell, Shalesh Kaushal, William W. Hauswirth, Steven Nusinowitz, Debra A. Thompson, John R. Heckenlively: Retinal Degeneration 12 (rd12): A new, spontaneously arising mouse model for human Leber congenital amaurosis (LCA). Mol Vis, 2005; 11:152-162.
- Pang, J., Cheng, M., Stevenson, D., Trousdale,M. D., Dorey, C.K., Blanks, J.C.: Adenoviral-Mediated Gene Transfer to Retinal Explants During Development and Degeneration. Exp. Eye Res. (2004); 79: 189-201.